Monday, July 26, 2010

Heather's Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili

I don't care if it's summer! It's always a good time for chili! Yesterday I made up a big pot of vegetarian chili, and I took a bit of a new spin on my old recipe...

First I made up a batch of my chili seasoning. This batch will make 3-4 batches of chili over the next year...

I also oiled up and roasted a poblano pepper...
The poblano sat in a 450 degree oven near the upper element for about 20 minutes. I flipped it around a few times to roast all sides equally. While it was roasting, I diced up a jalapeno and a sweet onion.


I also removed the kernels from two corn cobs.

Then I poured the corn onto the cookie sheet with the roasting poblano, drizzled a little light olive oil over it, sprinkled it with a little sea salt, and tossed it to mix, then popped it back into the oven for about 5 minutes or so.

Meanwhile I sauteed up the onion and jalapeno.

Then I poured three undrained cans of beans (I used black beans, kidney beans and northern beans) into the slow cooker...

Then I added two cans of diced tomatoes (I used Heinz tomatoes with peppers, celery and onion included), a small can of tomato sauce, and the onions and jalapeno from the stove...

Add 1/3 cup of the chili seasoning and stir to mix...

Then pour on the roasted corn and stir to mix some more...

Put the roasted poblano pepper into a paper bag, and close it up and let it sit for about 15 minutes. After 15-20 minutes of steaming in the bag, peel the skin off of the pepper and remove the seeds, and chop up the roasted pepper...

Toss that into the chili, and cook it on HIGH in the slow cooker for about 3 hours...



This was JUST AS GOOD as my usual meat chili, which is a first! Usually when I do vegetarian chili, I wind up missing the flavor the meat brings to it. Not this time! Woodrow loved it as well. However the guy who told me as I was cooking that I could add a few more jalapenos to the chili (as he said he LOVES jalapenos!) wound up finding the chili a little on the spicy side with only a single jalapeno. I found it to be perfect!

Add to that the corn muffins (made with muffin mix, 1 egg, vanilla almond milk and about 1/3 cup of sour cream), and that was some good vegetarian eating!

0 comments: