Sunday Pot Roast
This recipe is adapted from a recipe in Tyler's Ultimate cookbook.
2-3 lb top round
Salt and pepper
1 onion, sliced
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig rosemary
2 cups beef broth
1/2 bottle red wine
New potatoes cut into large chunks
2 bay leaves
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch Oven on the stove until it is smoking.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Cook beef in Dutch Oven for about 10 mins, searing both sides well. When done, remove it to a plate.
- Add onions to pan, and cook until brown, about 5 mins. Add broth, wine, thyme and rosemary. Bring to simmer.
- Put beef in pan with wine gravy.
- Add veggies (carrots and potatoes) and bay leaves.
- Cover Dutch Oven and put in oven. Cook on 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. Check to see if veggies and meat are done. Remove veggies if they finish before meat. Cook meat for up to 2-3 hours, until desired doneness (my 2 lb London Broil takes about 1 1/2 hours or so to cook to well done.)
Also today we went to the annual fruit tree sale, and I brought home a truckload of plants. You can read about our day at the sale on my blog Weedy Garden.