Monday, July 12, 2010

Recipe: Frogmore Stew

Last night I decided for dinner to cook a throwback to my time in Charleston, SC. The traditional dish is called Frogmore Stew. The dish is made up of whatever can be boiled, but traditionally the two ingredients that have to be included are shrimp and corn on the cob.

I used to make Frogmore Stew with corn, potatoes, shrimp and sausage. But now that I am pescatarian, I skipped the sausage. Here's how it went...

Frogmore Stew

New potatoes, larger ones halved
Old Bay seasoning
Lemon juice
2 corn cobs per person, husked and broken into halves or thirds
Shrimp with tails on
  • Fill a large pot about half full with water. Add about 2 tbs of Old Bay seasoning. I also added a splash of RealLemon juice from a bottle, but could have added the juice of one or two lemons if I'd had them. Bring to boil.
  • Once water is boiling, add potatoes to boiling water. Boil for about 20 minutes.
  • Add corn to boiling water and cook another 5 minutes.
  • Add shrimp and cook until done. My shrimp was frozen, so I cooked it for 5 minutes or so. If you had fresh shrimp, you could probably do it in 3 minutes.

And that's Frogmore Stew! Mmmmmmm. Even Woodrow, who doesn't care for boiled shrimp, loved this! Eat up!

1 comments:

Mindy said...

I had never ever had this til I moved to Arizona. Our friends call it "low-boil". Potatoes, sausage, shrimp, corn cobs.