Sunday, January 4, 2009

RECIPE: Chicken Fajitas

I've made fajitas plenty of times before, but this is a new recipe that I decided to try. I spotted it in my Perfect Mexican book.
Book

And it's really simple and fast. It can be made in under 30 minutes (not including marinating time), even by me, who is typically a very slow cook.


Chicken Fajitas

Adapted from Perfect Mexican
Serves 4

3 tbs olive oil
3 tbs maple syrup or honey
1 tbs red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1-2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch strips
8 flour tortillas, warmed
Place the oil, syrup, vinegar, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste in a large ziploc bag and mix together.

Slice the chicken across the grain into 1 inch slices. Toss in the marinade, seal bag, and shake the chicken in the bag to coat it. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, turning occasionally.

Heat grill pan or frying pan until hot. Add the chicken to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. (The recipe calls for you to saute the chicken in olive oil, but I used the reserved marinade for the oil.)
Chicken
Remove the chicken to a warmed serving plate and keep warm.
Raw peppers
Add the bell peppers, skin-side down, to the grill pan or frying pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side. (Again I used reserved marinade to cook the peppers in.) Transfer to the serving plate.
Peppers
Serve immediately with the warmed tortillas to be used as wraps. Include preferred condiments, like sour cream, cheese , lettuce and/or salsa.
Condiments

Fajita
Mmmmmm good! I loved the sweetness of the honey contrasting with the bite of the vinegar and the heat of the red pepper flakes. That's a keeper!

1 comments:

sdodson0809 said...

I am so glad I found this recipe. I had this book at one time and I made these for my boyfriends birthday. We have lost it since then and have been unable to find another copy. He wanted me to make these for a football game but I couldn't remember how. I am so glad I found this and glad that you loved them as much as we did. Thank you so much!!