Friday, January 16, 2009

RECIPE: Rice and Bean Taco Salad

This is one of my favorite quick and easy vegetarian dishes.

Rice and Bean Taco Salad

1 garlic clove
1/4 cup chopped onion
olive oil or butter
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chile powder
1/8 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp red pepper
small can diced green chiles
Iceberg lettuce, torn
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1 small can black olives, sliced
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Ranch dressing

Saute the onion and garlic in oil or butter. Add rice, beans and seasoning, and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Rice and Beans cooking

Add in chiles and stir to blend.

Meanwhile tear up lettuce and put in salad bowls. Spoon rice mixture over lettuce. Top with tomatoes and olives. Drizzle on ranch dressing.

Rice and Bean Taco Salad


Tonight when I made it, I didn't have all of the ingredients, so I just winged it. I didn't have the chili powder or coriander, but I did have some of my homemade chili seasoning. So I used probably about 3/4-1 tsp of that instead of all of the other seasonings.

I also didn't have any chiles, so I used some salsa in it's place. And I didn't have any olives, so I skipped that.

But I added in some leftover fajita chicken and red peppers.

Rice and Beans cooking

Woodrow loved it!

0 comments: