Sunday, March 22, 2009

Odie aka Demon Seed

So you remember my last post about my lovebird Odie? I posted about our day spent together at work, how sweet he was and what a good boy, and I then posted an adorable video of him reunited again with his snuggle buddy? Well, just a couple of days later, my sweet little boy turned into a biting demon. And it is all because of this:
Hut

THAT is a cute little hut for birds. Odie's old coconut husk tunnel was worn out and dirty, and needed to be replaced. I saw this cute little hut at the pet store, and I decided to give it a try.

So I removed Odie's old tunnel and put the hut inside near the wire grill that Snuggles is on. Odie seemed a little unnerved by this new change, and I decided to give him the night to get used to it.

A couple of days later, I found that Odie had turned into a demon. He suddenly wanted to bite me at every turn, all fluffed up and vicious looking (well, as vicious as a lovebird can look.) I noticed he was roosting on top of the new hut now, and then splitting his time between trying to attack me and doting on Snuggles.
Odie on hut

Odie and Snuggles

The little lightbulb went off in my head: He thinks the hut is a nesting box! His hormones have kicked in! By combining a hut with his cherished Snuggles, I've created a little monster!

The next day I had Woodrow distract Odie for me so that I could reach into his cage and remove the hut from it. A day after that, I put a new coconut husk tunnel in his cage for him, and in the process he came flying out of his cage. I got him on my hand and gave him a little love. Then I went to put him back in his cage, and the snot bit me!

This morning he is beginning to act more like himself again. He still isn't quite as sweet as before, but things are improving. I'm hoping that he will revert once again to his sweet self. This demon possession is not very fun! So let's think of Odie as the sweet boy he was just a week ago, and hopefully will be again...
Odie

That's a sweet boy!

2 comments:

Libby's Library said...

I've had love birds, and I know just how hard they can bite...OUCH!
I miss having birds in my life...maybe I can convince the hubby to let me get another one.

...Now the sceameing begins!

The Big Burbs said...

He's temporarily joined the ranks of good-looking bad-boys!