Thursday, April 9, 2009

How Lucky Am I?

I came home today from a long day at work (didn't leave work until about 7:30 PM) to find that I had received some more wonderful gifts! Then I realized that I had fallen behind on acknowledging the gifts that I've received. So here are the latest gifts that I've gratefully received:

First there was the book Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea.
Photobucket

Beautiful North

I won this ARC on BermudaOnion's blog. The back cover says: "Nineteen-year-old Nayeli works at a taco shop in her Mexican village and dreams about her father, who left the family to work in the USA. In fact, there are almost no men in the village-- they've all gone north. While watching The Magnificent Seven, Nayeli decides to go north herself and recruit seven men-- her own "Siete Magnificos"-- to repopulate her hometown and protect it from the bandidos who plan on taking it over." The book will be released in May 2009.

I also won these beautiful notecards from Invitations by Jane through a giveaway on Busy Mom.

Photobucket

I had the cards personalized for my mother, and gave them to her as an early Mother's Day gift. She loved them! I have to add Invitations by Jane to my list of favorite stores. I love her stuff!

Today I came home to find that I had received the latest book that I won from Drey's Library. It is How I Got To Be Whoever It Is I Am by Charles Grodin.
Grodin book

I've heard good things about this book, and they say it is pretty funny and entertaining. I plan on sharing this book with my mother, as she loves biographies.

And my favorite gift(s) to receive today come from Susan of A Drawer Full of Dreams. I actually won the book The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg through the One World-One Heart event that occurred in February. However when I got my package today I was surprised to find that it included a home knit hat and a beautiful card.
Pack

The book is Susan's favorite, and she wanted to share it with others.
Pull of the Moon book

The back cover says "Sometimes you have to leave your life behind for a while to see it and really live it freshly again. In this luminous exquisitely written novel, a woman follows the pull of the moon to find her way home. Sometimes humorous, sometimes heartbreaking, always honest, The Pull of the Moon is a novel about the journey of one woman-- and about the issues of the heart that transform the lives of all women." Beautiful!

The package also included this lovely little card.
Photobucket

The back of the card says: "Alisa fine art cards. "First Snow" reproduction of an original painting by Pacific Northwest Artist Alisa Anne. http:www84.pair.com/waw/art/myweb2/ Lisajane63@yahoo.com AlisaPaints.etsy.com" Look at that face!

And to top it all off (no pun intended. You know. It's a hat. You put it on your head. You "top off" yourself...nevermind), she sent along this beautiful hat that she knit herself.
Photobucket

She said that she knitted it in a light yarn, knowing that I am in Florida and don't get too much of an opportunity to wear a knit hat. It is SOOOOOOO soft! I had to try it on right away, even though I'd just gotten home after a long day at the office, and was wearing my ratty clothes and in need of a shower.
Hat

I could have used this hat when we went camping last weekend! I love it!

My thanks to BermudaOnion, Drey's Library, Hatchette books, Invitations by Jane, and Busy Mom for everything. And a special bit of thanks to Susan of A Drawer Full of Dreams for knitting the hat on top of the book and the card she sent. Be sure to check out her blog. She has the greatest kids, and she is currently hosting another giveaway that includes notecards of her daughters artwork as well as her son's favorite book. She is extending the giveaway deadline to next Friday 4/17.

Thank you everyone! You have brightened my day, and reminded me again how lucky I am!

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Congratulations on all of your wins! Thanks for letting me know the book arrived safely.

Libby's Library said...

I'd say that you're pretty darned lucky!

The Big Burbs said...

Pretty awesome--- and cool hat!

The Big Burbs said...

Heather, measure Snoop Dog's head for me. I think he needs a hat to match yours. ;)