Tuesday, June 23, 2009

RECIPE: Heather's Grilled Strawberry-Lemon Sandwiches

I was reading the book Of Bees and Mist recently (I have an Advanced Reader's Edition that I am reviewing), and in it a girl mentioned strawberry sandwiches. This got my mind going as I thought of the different ways you could create a strawberry sandwich. After playing this out in my head for a few days, I finally decided to give it a try. Last night I came up with this recipe, although I would make a few changes. I made two different sandwiches two different ways, and this recipe is for the one that I liked the best, utilizing the methods I used for that one sandwich:

Grilled Strawberry-Lemon Sandwiches

9 oz cream cheese, softened
Packet of lemon pudding mix
3/4-1 cup milk
1 pound cake or butter loaf cake, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
Sliced strawberries
Melted butter

Mix together cream cheese, pudding mix and milk in a medium bowl. I'm unsure how much milk should be used. I only used 6 oz cream cheese and probably 1/2-3/4 milk, and it came out too gooey and sticky. I think that more cream cheese and more milk would be better. Beat with a mixer. Create a thick, spreadable mixture.


Spread lemon pudding mixture on two slices of cake. Top one slice with sliced strawberries. Assemble the other sandwich by topping it with the other slice, putting lemon sides together.

Brush both outsides of the sandwich with melted butter.

Grill the sandwich in a hot frying pan until golden brown on each side.


Yum! That was pretty good! I ate one half for breakfast this morning. I tried spreading softened butter onto both sides of the cake slices and then grilling both sides before assembling the sandwiches, but I found I preferred the one that was assembled first, brushed with melted butter, and then grilled for a couple of minutes. I believe the one on the right in the image above was the one that was brushed with melted butter, and it came out with a crisper and more evenly browned "crust".

Tonight I used the leftovers to make another dessert.


Jeez that picture makes it look huge, but please allow me to point out that is only a small saucer that it is filling, not a big dinner plate!

So how is my diet going?

1 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Oh dear, that isn't going to be good for my new healthy eating plan at ALL! That looks so good, damn you :)