Sunday, January 31, 2010

Saturday Interlude

Yesterday we decided to head over to Fisherman's Village for an Arts and Craft Show. Fisherman's Village is about 20 miles north of me in Punta Gorda. So we loaded up, knowing that there was a storm on the way. But since it wasn't supposed to hit until late afternoon, we figured we had time.

We arrived at Fisherman's Village probably around 3:30 PM or so. It is a grouping of open-air buildings located on the water and colorfully painted. There are stores downstairs and apartments upstairs.



I loved the name of this place.


I soooo wanted to go here, but we never made it. We had the rain on our tails. You know, I always use the term "ornery" in reference to myself, and I'm amazed at how many people have no idea what the word "ornery" means. By definition, I'm not really "ornery", but more "moody". However it amuses me to refer to myself as ornery. I'm sure I will be when I'm old. Anyhoooo...

I didn't get too many pictures of the art show, since artists often don't like their work to be photographed-- particularly painters. But I did get some pics.

I loved this shirt...
It's very "me". Woodrow liked this shirt...

While we were looking around the booths, the yummy smells got to us. Woodrow spotted a booth with roasted nuts. I looked up and saw this...


When we reached the end of the walk, we found a gameroom ahead...


Parked in front were some beauties...


And this beauty...
LOL!

I spotted this heron. I felt sorry for it. It looked to me like it had some sort of skin condition and was missing some feathers. Not good in this cold weather we've had.


I got a picture of one of the cats that lives in the village. Fisherman's Village has a feral cat problem. The cats live on scraps from the restaurants and shops, and whatever else they catch. I treated us to lunch at the Village Fish Market, and made sure to get a seat by the windows.


We could see the storm that was heading our way...

...and we were hoping we'd beat it to the car. Woodrow got a grilled chicken sandwich and onion rings...

...and I got the lobster roll and hush puppies.


This was my first time having a lobster roll. Quite tasty.

I saw so many beautiful things at the art and crafts show, but this is what I walked away with:

This little decorative birdhouse, which I thought would be cute in my newly-painted bedroom...

...and this little piggy purse...




I thought it would be cute for when I am doing outings like art shows and music festivals. It's got character!

In fact, I used it last night when we went out. We were supposed to meet a friend up at a club, but he didn't show. So we (me, Woodrow and our friend) decided to head down to H2 downtown. Woodrow and Pam had beer and I had a Fruity Tooti Martini. Then I ordered a couple of appetizers: Mushroom-Dusted Grouper skewers with creamed corn and bourbon sweet potato...
...and Grilled Jumbo Shrimp with aged-cheesy grits and bacon.

The grouper was "okay", but the shrimp was really good!

Then Woodrow and I shared a Key Lime brulee with creme fraiche...

Oh, yum! And that was only $7! It was cheaper than my martini! We'll be going back for the Key Lime brulee again!

So yesterday was a pretty nice day! We have another art show coming up next weekend that we're really looking forward to.

0 comments: