Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Day in the Slough

Today I headed over to Cypress Slough, for just a simple walk and a quiet place to read. However while there I took some photos, too. This is one of my favorite nature parks, but I've never visited it during the rainy season. So this is my first time seeing it under water.

I loved this tree. It looks like a maple, but I'm not sure what it is.



Throughout the walk, you'll find inspirational signs like this...

First we stopped by the ampitheater lookout to sit and read for awhile. When we arrived, we had the usual Florida onlookers...

After leaving the ampitheater, we headed on down the walkway and spotted another familiar sight...

These giant lubbers love my yard, so I see them around my place all the time.

It's hard to see in this shot, but the tree in the background had a pink lichen dotting its surface.

It looked really cool.

A couple of times we spotted these berry bushes growing wild, which I believe are American Beautyberry.



You can find examples of cypress knees everywhere you look. For those not familiar with south Florida, cypress knees are part of the root structure of cypress trees, and are nodules that stick above the waterline. Their purpose is unknown.

Sometimes the cypress knees have really bright almost pink or orange tips. In this photo, you can sort of make out the orangeish tips in the distance.

No? You don't see it? Here's a closer look...

They're pretty cool!

I love all the lichen that dots the trees in areas like this.

I spotted this pond apple while out there. It's only the second time I've ever seen one. The other I spotted while hiking through the swamps of the everglades last year.

There were a lot of beautiful moments, especially near the otter pond.





The new header photo on this blog was also taken today. I think this turned out amazingly well with my little point and shoot.

Then we made it to the otter pond, and spent a little time sitting here in the shade and reading.

The last time we were here a few months ago, I got video of a bunch of baby gators here. We never saw the mama. Today I just saw flora and little fauna. There were some pretty little purple flowers and some yellow ones.





After the otter pond (might I note that I've never seen an otter at the otter pond?), we called it a day and headed back out. On the way, I spotted a bromeliad in bloom.



The sun was going down by the time we left.

But just because we were on our way out doesn't mean that I was done observing nor capturing moments. Like the reed that was encased in some sort of eggs...

...the cypress knee that looked like a mini volcano...

...the pregnant tree...

...or the tree with the crazy grass-like stuff growing out of it.

So maybe you can see why this is one of my favorite places? If you haven't already, please go check it out the next time you are in the area. It's located off of Six Miles Cypress.

0 comments: