Monday, June 21, 2010

The Return of the Widows

Yesterday we were on our way out, when I spotted a large spider under the handle of the garbage can outside. I took a closer look and saw this...
This looks to me to be a brown widow. I've spotted them around my place in the past, and even got video last year. They seem to be quite prevalent around my yard, and I have to be extra careful when in the garage. They are not aggressive by nature, but they will bite if you accidentally "squish" them when grabbing something. I'm always especially careful of picking up containers that have a "lip" that they can hide under.

This little lady looks to me to be very pregnant, so I'm guessing she's about to lay an egg sac under the handle of the garbage can. I have to figure out what to do with this old girl, and where I could maybe relocate her. Hmmmmmm....

1 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

You should name her Charlotte! :)