Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Widows, Part Deux

The saga with the brown widows continue. I arrived home the other day to find a brown widow climbing up the front of the trash can, weaving her webbing.

It was time to move the can to the road, as garbage pickup was the next day. So I decided that I would need to move the girl. I had already removed her egg sac a few days before and disposed of it. Now I could see that she had plans to lay more.

So I grabbed a broom and moved her to the Bismarck Palm in my yard (it was raining at the time, so I knew she needed some shelter.)

Then I put the trash can out to the road. The next morning I saw the can sitting upside down at the end of the driveway, and planned on picking it up after work (I was in a hurry).

When I got home, I found that Woodrow had brought the can up, and sitting next to it was this...

A dead brown widow (see the hourglass on the belly). Evidently there were more than one. Woodrow said that when he went to grab the can, he found another eggsac where I'd removed one just days before, and a widow with it. There she is. He sprayed both her and the eggsac.

I'm being overrun with widows!

0 comments: