Saturday, July 3, 2010

RECIPE: Heather's Buttery Sage Spaghetti

Tonight Woodrow decided quite suddenly that he wanted pasta, using just what we had on hand. So I had to quickly come up with a sauce using only what I had in my frig and pantry. This is what I came up with...

Buttery Sage Spaghetti
  • Spaghetti, prepared as directed (we did about a half box)
  • Half stick of butter (plus I added a dollop of margarine from a tub)
  • Garlic
  • Sage
  • Lemon juice
  • Crushed red pepper
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Parmesan, grated
While the spaghetti is cooking (just after the noodles are added to the boiling water), melt the butter in a skillet. I then added about a half-teaspoon of roasted garlic (from a jar), and cooked it until the butter was beginning to get lightly browned. Then I added probably about a tablespoon of crushed sage, a bit of bottled lemon juice (probably a few tablespoons or so-- maybe a 1/4 cup). I mixed it all together, and sprinkled in a few crushed red pepper seeds, and some salt and fresh ground pepper. I let this simmer while the spaghetti finished.

Once the noodles finished, we drained them, poured them into the skillet and tossed them to coat with the butter sauce. Then used tongs to dish the pasta out onto plates, and topped with grated parmesan. A sprinkling of parsley across the top would have been nice.

Quick, easy, cheap, and tasty-- like me! :) Woodrow was a big fan of this, and it could be served so many ways. The seasonings and such can be changed around, add in grilled zucchini or roasted tomatoes or steamed broccoli. There are so many ways to go with this recipe, and it fits nicely into my vegetarian/pescatarian diet. It's a keeper!

0 comments: