Sunday, June 24, 2012

RECIPE: Fish Foil Packets

Mom recently gave me a recipe for fish in foil packets. I tweaked it a little and gave it a try tonight:

Fish Foil Packets
Serves 4

4 fish fillets or steaks (I used Tilapia)
2 small yellow squash, sliced (this was an addition I made)
1 each green and red peppers, sliced
1 sweet onion, sliced (it called for red onion)
2 carrots, julienned (I used baby carrots cut into matchsticks)
1 container grape tomatoes, halved (it called for cherry tomatoes)
1 lemon
Mrs. Dash Table Blend (it called for some 7-herb blend, and I used this instead)
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
  • Prepare vegetables

  • Put fish on a piece of 12 x 16 inch piece of heavy duty foil. Top with 1/4 of the veggies. (The recipe called for putting lemon slices in the foil packet, but I have had bad results when cooking lemon slices like that. So I squeezed fresh lemon juice over the works instead.)
  • Drizzle with 1 tbs of olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with Mrs. Dash (or chosen seasoning), a pinch of salt and some fresh ground pepper.
  • Fold edges of foil and seal tight.
  • Put packet directly on stove burner. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes for thawed fish. (I haven't cooked frozen yet, so I'm not sure how long that will take.)
  • You can smell when the packets are done. The fish and veggies get really fragrant!
  • Open the packet and serve.

I served mine over brown rice. Very good! It needed a pinch more salt, but this was very good and simple. The fish is so moist and flaky, the veggies soft. Even more tomatoes would be great, as they are so sweet and good!

I also put together three more foil packets with frozen fish fillets and all the works. Sealed them up and stored them in freezer ziploc bags for future meals ready-to-go!

This one's a keeper!

0 comments: