Sunday, January 27, 2013

RECIPE: Shrimp Santorini

I recently had dinner at a local Greek restaurant, and they have this dish on the menu. I decided to give it a try, and it had great potential, but I was essentially unimpressed. It was like they took big chunks of peppers and onions and mixed them in with some spaghetti sauce and shrimp. I decided that I could find a way to make it better.

I checked online for some recipes, and I found a video made by executive chef Milos Estiatorio of Boca Raton showing how he makes this dish. I decided to give it a go. He didn't really give amounts, so I had to sort of wing it.

Shrimp Santorini
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 red pepper, chopped small
1 green pepper, chopped small
1 onion, chopped small
Olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
2 scallions, sliced (about 2 tbs)
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 basil leaf, minced
Few sprigs of parsley, minced
3 medium tomatoes, chopped and mashed
1/2 tsp fresh oregano, minced
1/2 cp white wine
1-2 handfuls of crumbled feta


Directions:

Clean, devein, de-shell shrimp and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Saute onion and peppers in oil for a few minutes.

Add garlic and scallions, rosemary and basil.

Cook for a few minutes, then add parsley.

Chop the tomatoes and mash them with a potato masher to make them "juicy".

Add the tomatoes to the mixture, and season with salt and pepper and oregano. At this point, you have a sort of sofrito.

Add the shrimp and the white wine. Let it reduce some.

Stir in the feta.


That's it! Ready to serve!

Well, my Shrimp Santorini turned out better than the dish I ate at the authentic Greek restaurant in town! It is quite tasty. Just serve over rice, and maybe add a small salad, and you're good to go!

0 comments: