Monday, February 18, 2013

RECIPE: Fish Tacos with White Sauce

I decided to try my hand at homemade fish tacos. I bought a book the other day called Power Foods, and it had a good recipe in it that I felt was a good candidate.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9265477-power-foods
However I wanted my fish tacos with a sauce. So I did a little research and found another recipe that had a white sauce that people raved about. So I adapted the white sauce from one recipe to go with my fish tacos from another recipe.

Grilled Fish Tacos
adapted from Power Foods
(original recipe was for a dozen tacos. This recipe makes about 4 tacos.)

Ingredients:

1/3 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
Coarse salt
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 tsp finely chopped cilantro
Red snapper fillet
1 cup shredded green cabbage
4 corn tortillas
Lime wedges, avocado, sour cream, hot sauce, tomatoes, or any other fillings desired

Directions:

  • Stir together cumin, oregano, chili powder, and 3/4 tsp coarse salt. Mix in olive oil and cilantro.
 
  • Use sharp knife to make shallow slits about 1 1/2 inches apart into the fish skin; transfer to a large dish and rub both sides with spice mixture (I put it in a ziploc bag instead). Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
 
  • Toss together cabbage and 1/2 tsp salt in a small bowl. Let sit 30 minutes.
 
  • The recipe called for grilling the fish (on an outside grill), but I just cooked it in a saute pan. Saute about 4-5 minutes on each side.
 
  • Transfer fish to a platter and cool slightly. Squeeze half of a lime over the top, and then shred into bite-size pieces. Garnish platter with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs. Serve warm or at room temperature (within 1 hour).
 
  • Heat tortillas one at a time in saute pan.
  • Have guests assemble their own tacos with white sauce (below) and other desired fillings like tomato, cabbage and avocado.
 

White sauce:

1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup mayo
Lime juice
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp dill
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne

Mix together. Put in enough lime juice to thin to a sauce consistency, and do to taste.Can include some minced jalapeno. This makes substantially more sauce than needed for 4 tacos.


I made four tacos, and even though they are small, it was too much. I made these again tonight, but this time I only made two tacos, so I can have two more tomorrow night.

Very good! Tangy from the lime juice and cilantro, a little mild heat (more heat if you decide to add jalapeno to the white sauce), juicy, tender fish. Very tasty! I obviously loved them, since I made them again for dinner tonight!

0 comments: