Sunday, March 17, 2013

RECIPE: Heather's Mexican Rice

I needed a Mexican-type side dish the other day, and I came up with this.

Heather's Mexican Rice

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic
3 scallions, sliced
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1/2 chopped tomato
1/2 small can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
Cilantro
  1. Saute pepper in EVO for a few minutes. 
  2. Add scallions and garlic and saute a minute. 
  3. Add rice and toast until turning brown.
  4. Add water/broth and tomato. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
  5. Stir in tomato sauce and season with chili powder, salt and cumin.
  6. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve.

Actually you should do the tomato sauce to suit you. I think I'll go a little easier on the sauce next time, as it was a little too tomato-ey for me. Otherwise it was a nice little dish.

0 comments: