Heather's Mexican Rice
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic
3 scallions, sliced
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1/2 chopped tomato
1/2 small can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
- Saute pepper in EVO for a few minutes.
- Add scallions and garlic and saute a minute.
- Add rice and toast until turning brown.
- Add water/broth and tomato. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and season with chili powder, salt and cumin.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve.
Actually you should do the tomato sauce to suit you. I think I'll go a little easier on the sauce next time, as it was a little too tomato-ey for me. Otherwise it was a nice little dish.